Both the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and the Philadelphia Museum of Art were completed in the 1920’s, and since that time an impressive collection of outdoor sculpture has been placed in this area.
Iroquois(1983 – 1999)
by Mark di Suvero (1933 - )Benjamin Franklin Parkway at Eakins Oval and Spring Garden Street
Mark di Suvero’s monumental Iroquois has a robust energy and physical presence. The abstract sculpture is formed from painted steel I-beams, which are emblematic of the artist’s use of industrial materials.
by Roxy Paine (1966 - )Benjamin Franklin Parkway, 24th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue (Iroquois Park)
Hand-fabricated from thousands of pieces of stainless steel pipe, plate, and rods, Symbiosis is part of Roxy Paine’s “Dendroid” series.
Joan of Arc(1890)
by Emmanuel Frémiet (1824 – 1910)Kelly Drive at 25th Street
A memorial to the French heroine, the French community in Philadelphia sought the aid of the Fairmount Park Art Association (now the Association for Public Art) to commemorate their centennial.
William M. Reilly Memorial: Revolutionary War Heroes(1947 – 1961)
by Various ArtistsTerrace northwest of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, at Waterworks Drive
In his will of 1890 General William M. Reilly of the Pennsylvania National Guard established a trust fund for the purpose of creating monuments to Revolutionary War heroes.
The Schuylkill Chained and The Schuylkill Freed(1825, casts 1980)
by William Rush (1756 - 1833)Fairmount Water Works, North and South Entrance Houses
As the Fairmount Water Works expanded in the 1820s, the city’s Watering Committee decided to embellish the site with emblematic sculpture and commissioned William Rush, the foremost American sculptor of his era, for the project.
Chief Justice John Marshall(1931)
by William Wetmore Story (1819 - 1895)West Entrance of the Philadelphia Museum of Art
James M. Beck, Vice-President of the Fairmount Park Art Association and a member of the United States Congress, commissioned a plaster replica of the original sculpture in D.C from which a bronze cast could be made and placed in Philadelphia.
Prometheus Strangling the Vulture(1944, cast 1953)
by Jacques Lipchitz (1891 - 1973)Philadelphia Museum of Art, Parkway Entrance, East Terrace steps
In 1952, the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s purchase of the Prometheus cast represented the institution’s largest payment for work by a living sculptor.
The Lion Fighter(1858, cast 1892)
by Albert Wolff (1814 - 1892)Philadelphia Museum of Art at the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
The original Lion Fighter sits as a companion piece to August Kiss’s Mounted Amazon Attacked by a Panther on the steps of the National Museum in Berlin. Philadelphia’s cast was moved to the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1929, where – as in Berlin – it accompanies a bronze cast of the Amazon.
The Mounted Amazon Attacked by a Panther(1839, cast 1929)
by August Kiss (1802 - 1865)Philadelphia Museum of Art at the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
The Mounted Amazon Attacked by a Panther was the work of German sculptor August Kiss. Caught in the midst of the attack, the figures convey the violence and emotional tension of the moment.
by Rudolf Siemering (1835 - 1905)Benjamin Franklin Parkway at Eakins Oval
On Independence Day in 1810, the Society of the Cincinnati of Pennsylvania resolved to create a memorial to General George Washington, who had served as president of the organization from its founding until his death in 1799.
by A. Thomas Schomberg (1943 - )Entrance to Philadelphia Museum of Art; Kelly Drive and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
In the movie “Rocky III” (1982), a massive statue of Philadelphia fighter Rocky Balboa, arms raised in triumph, is unveiled in the courtyard of the Museum of Art. In real life, actor Sylvester Stallone presented the statue to the City of Philadelphia.
Charioteer of Delphi(5th century B.C., cast 1977)
by Artist UnknownKelly Drive near 24th Street
Around 478 B.C., Polyzalos, the Tyrant of Gela in Sicily, commissioned a statue to express his gratitude to the god Apollo for his charioteer’s victory in the Pythian Games. The cast near Philadelphia’s Museum of Art was a gift from the Greek government.