Greyhound Sculptures (1988)

by Artist Unknown

Photo Caption: Photo Caitlin Martin © 2015 for the Association for Public Art
  • Title

    Greyhound Sculptures

  • Artist

    Artist Unknown

  • Year

    Donated 1988

  • Location

    Rittenhouse Square, SW entrance

  • Medium

    Cast stone, on stone entrance way pillars

  • Dimensions

    Height 1'8", width 1'1", depth 3'4"

  • Themes

    The Animal Kingdom

Acquired by friends of the late art collector and curator Henry P. McIlhenny

Owned by the City of Philadelphia

At A Glance

  • Donated and installed in 1988 by friends of the late art collector and curator Henry P. McIlhenny

  • Andy Warhol called McIlhenny “the only person in Philadelphia with glamour”

  • McIlhenny served on the boards of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia Orchestra Association, Academy of Music, and the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks

Located at the southwest entrance of Rittenhouse Square, these two stone Greyhound sculptures were donated and installed in 1988 by friends of the late art collector and curator Henry P. McIlhenny (1910-1986). McIlhenny was a longtime resident and supporter of the Square and served the Philadelphia Museum of Art for 50 years, first as Curator of Decorative Arts and then as Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Andy Warhol called him “the only person in Philadelphia with glamour,” and the Philadelphia Art Alliance referred to him as the “first gentleman of Philadelphia.”

In addition to his support of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, McIlhenny served on the boards of the Philadelphia Orchestra Association, Academy of Music, and the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks. To learn more about Henry P. McIlhenny, click here

 

RESOURCES

This artwork is part of the Around Rittenhouse Square tour

Loading map...

More artworks