PHILADELPHIA, PA — The Association for Public Art (aPA), with support from Culture Republick Ice Cream, presents “Sculpture Zoo in Logan Circle” on Saturday, June 22nd from 11am to 2pm. All are invited to enjoy free, fun-filled activities that will enliven Swann Memorial Fountain on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. “Sculpture Zoo” is presented in partnership with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and the Office of Arts, Culture and the Creative Economy.
Live animals – turtles, toads, and ducks – will be on site, inspired by the sculptures within the fountain. There will be animal sculpture demonstrations by Philadelphia-based artists and sculpture-making workshops for kids led by teaching artists. To complement the summer event, Culture Republick will serve free samples of four different flavors of their probiotic ice cream.
Help aPA to bring sculpture to life! For more information, visit associationforpublicart.org/sculpturezoo.
“Swann Memorial Fountain by artist Alexander Stirling Calder is a focal point for the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and a Philadelphia favorite,” says aPA Executive Director and Chief Curator, Penny Balkin Bach. “Artists of the time often chose live animals as their models. Our programming creates new and unexpected experiences for all ages to explore and appreciate Philadelphia’s sculpture.”
- Live Animals: Turtles, toads, and water fowl will be stationed near their sculpture counterparts at Swann Memorial Fountain. Representatives from the Academy of Natural Sciences, Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education, and Cloverland Farms will be the animal handlers for the event.
- Sculpture Workshops: Stop by any of three tents around Swann Memorial Fountain for artist-led sculpture making activities related to the existing sculptures and live animals. Participants will take their creations home and receive public art souvenirs, including customized sketchbooks and sculpture postcards.
- Sculpture Demonstrations: Witness the sculpture-making process through sculpture demonstrations led by Philadelphia-based artists. The sculptors will share their unique techniques, working directly from life.
- Listen to Museum Without Walls™: AUDIO: Public Art Ambassadors will offer information about Museum Without Walls™: AUDIO, aPA’s award-winning audio program that broadcasts fascinating stories about Philadelphia’s public art.
- Free Ice Cream: Our Public Art Partner, Culture Republick, will be stationed nearby, serving free samples of four flavors of their light, probiotic ice cream: pistachio & salted caramel, chocolate & cherry, milk & honey, and cold brew & chocolate chip.
“We are thrilled to partner with the Association for Public Art to bring sculpture to life at Swann Memorial Fountain,” says Matthew Decker, Co-founder of Culture Republick. “At Culture Republick, our mission is to spread culture inside, through the probiotic cultures in our ice cream, and out, through supporting great partners like aPA who are instrumental in promoting the ‘arts culture’ in Philadelphia.”
About the Association for Public Art
The Association for Public Art (aPA, formerly Fairmount Park Art Association) commissions, preserves, promotes, and interprets public art in Philadelphia. The aPA is the nation’s first private nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a “Museum Without Walls” that informs, engages, and inspires diverse audiences. Established in 1872, aPA integrates public art and urban design through exemplary programs and advocacy efforts that connect people with public art. www.associationforpublicart.org
About Culture Republick
Culture Republick is an ice cream brand that loves culture. Through a variety of probiotic, light ice cream and frozen non-dairy desserts, we use our brand to promote culture. All of our packaging is designed by emerging artists, and 10% of our profits support local arts organizations. Enjoy a scoop of culture while supporting culture. www.culturerepublick.com