by Maren Hassinger (b. 1947)Ellen Phillips Samuel Memorial, Kelly Drive
Originally commissioned and presented by Socrates Sculpture Park in New York, “Steel Bodies” is the first contemporary public art exhibition at the Ellen Phillips Samuel Memorial, and Maren Hassinger’s first outdoor sculpture exhibition in Philadelphia. Ten large-scale metal vessel sculptures have been installed throughout the memorial, juxtaposed against the existing figurative artworks and landscape.
by Harold Kimmelman (1923 - 2013)Lawrence Court, between 4th and 5th Streets and Spruce and Cypress Streets
Hopping along a walkway in Society Hill since 1972, these stainless steel kangaroos are one of the many metal sculptures throughout the Philadelphia region by Harold Kimmelman.
by Carl Paul Jennewein (1890 - 1978)East Terrace, Philadelphia Museum of Art
Carl Paul Jennewein was a classical sculptor who was particularly interested in combining sculpture with architecture. His sculptures for the north pediment of the Philadelphia Museum of Art draw their content and technique from ancient Greece.
General Anthony Wayne(1937)
by John Gregory (1879-1958)East Terrace, Philadelphia Museum of Art
“Mad Anthony” Wayne, Pennsylvania’s foremost military hero of the Revolutionary War, led the bayonet attack on the fort of Stony Point and played a major role in the battles of Brandywine and Germantown and the siege of Yorktown.
Family of Man(1961)
by Constantino Nivola (1911-1988)University of Pennsylvania, Van Pelt Library entrance, between 34th and 36th Streets, Locust and Spruce Streets
The Sardinian artist Constantino Nivola was building sand castles with his children on a Long Island beach when he conceived a new kind of sculpture: bas-reliefs that would be molded in damp sand and then cast in concrete.
by Seymour Lipton (1903-1986)Plaza at 16th Street between Market Street and JFK Boulevard
Leviathan is the sea monster mentioned in the Bible, often identified with the whale or crocodile. This sculpture by Seymor Lipton was purchased in 1969 through the City Planning Commission with grant funds received from the National Endowment for the Arts.