Throughout the month of April, the Art Association presents Site Seeing: Rediscover Public Art this Spring!, a month-long celebration of public art that invites Philadelphians and visitors to rediscover the city’s outdoor sculpture.
This series of four free programs aims to engage city residents and tourists with public art in new and unexpected ways:
An Evening of Tango at the Swann Memorial Fountain invites audiences to re-imagine a historic tango dance party and celebrate the return of spring at Logan Circle’s Swann Memorial Fountain.
Next, public art gets a lift with a Public Art Pathway made up of giant balloons directing visitors to sculptures and Public Art Ambassadors along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
For those who want to see public art in a new light, a one-night-only Sculpture Flashlight Mob is an open invitation for participants to illuminate the abstract Iroquois sculpture with a symphony of flashlights.
Finally, two weekends of Public Art Bike Tours let cyclists, casual bike-riders and active families experience Fairmount Park’s hidden treasures on two wheels.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (April 2012):
An Evening of Tango at the Swann Memorial Fountain
- Thursday, April 5, 5:30p.m. – 7:30p.m
- Logan Circle, 19th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- FREE! Preregistration is suggested
>>Click here for more information
>>Click here to learn more about the history of the Parkway dances
Public Art Pathway
- Saturday, April 21 and Saturday,
- April 28, 11:00a.m. – 4:00p.m
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway from LOVE Park
Sculpture Flashlight Mob
- Wednesday, April 25, 8:30p.m.-10:00p.m.
- Iroquois sculpture, 24th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
Public Art Bike Tours
- Saturday, April 14 and Sunday, April 29, 1:30p.m.-4:3op.m.
- Tours begin at the Iroquois sculpture, 24th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
- FREE! Cyclists must register in advance; space is limited
>>Click here to register for the 4-mile ride (Please note: the 4-mile rides are full.)
>>Click here to register for the 10-mile ride (Please note: the 10-mile rides are full.)